This is a unique program offering studies in Japanese language, Okinawan culture, and Japanese culture for self financed students. Courses in Japanese language, Japan current events, Okinawa current events etc. are offered by the University Education Center for students not planning to earn a degree. Credits, however, can be received for attended lectures.
Becoming a Self-Financed International Student
- More information available here [Written in JAPANESE]
- Admission and Tuition Fees [Written in JAPANESE]
- Acquire the ability to communicate smoothly in Japanese
- Learn the fundamentals of Japanese
- Understand and adapt to Japanese/Okinawan culture and life style
- Learn to widen one’s personal network outside the classroom
- Become able to advance in one’s studies autonomously
Applicants must meet either 1. or 2. of the criteria below: For those who meet 2. must also meet 3. of the following.
3. Applicants must have Japanese proficiency equivalent to or above N2 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test and meet either one of the following.
- Passed Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) N2 or N1
- Have 200 points or above of Japanese as a foreign language (Reading comprehension, Listening and Listening-Reading comprehension) on the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU)
- Have minimum of J3 of Business Japanese Proficiency Test (BJT)
- Have 500 points or above of Japanese Proficiency Test (JPT)
4. Applicants must be able to directly bring and present the application for admission to the Academic Affairs Section. (Applications must be submitted personally by applicants)
Application – 2020 2nd Semester
Based on results of oral interview and the contents of the application documents.
1st Semester : April to August 2nd Semester : October to February * Please refer to the Academic Calendar of the University of the Ryukyus.
List of the subjects
⇒ About Japanese classes (外国人留学生の科目等履修について) [Written in JAPANESE and ENGLISH]
Upon the completion of courses, students will be evaluated upon the criteria below.
- Mid-term and Final Exams
- Participation in presentations etc.
- Performance and attitude during lectures
- Matters regarding other classes
*Grades are determined on a scale of 5 with the ranking scale of A, B, C, D, E, and F. *For registered classes, credits can be received for grades of D and higher. *Transcripts will be issued by the Academic Affairs Section.
Academic Affairs Section TEL：+81-98-895-8853・8854 E-mail：kykyotsu at acs.u-ryukyu.ac.jp
International Student Unit, Global Education Center:
E-mail: najimay at lab.u-ryukyu.ac.jp
E-mail: ashihara at lab.u-ryukyu.ac.jp
E-mail: arashiro at lab.u-ryukyu.ac.jp
- GLOBAL EDUCATION INSTITUTE HP -Infomation for Credited Auditors [Written in JAPANESE]